Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Movin' Around

People sixty-five and under tend to move around. My parents and most likely yours were born, lived and died within a twenty mile area. Some of us like it that way. My dad lived in Boone, Iowa for 71 of his 74 years. The first three he was confined in a place called the Annie Wittenmeyer home in Davenport, Iowa. He was given up for adoption as a baby then found his way to Central Iowa. My mother moved to Boone in 1940 after graduating from nursing school and is there still. I can't stay in one room of my home for an hour without feeling the wander lust. Sometimes, even when I don't need to, I'll sit on the commode for a change of scenery. Check this out. I left Boone in 1964. From there I have made a residence in these Iowa towns: Cedar Rapids, New Hartford, Cedar Falls, Storm Lake, Ottumwa and Davenport. For one teaching year I commuted four hours from Davenport to Mukwonago, Wisconsin. After that it was back to Davenport. We moved to Westerville, Ohio in 1989 then to Dublin in 2008. Have I forgotten any? I don't think so but if I did it'll come to me later. Do you know what the biggest decision Lizzie and I(Oh yeah, she grew up in Des Moines and lived in Ames, Iowa)have to make. Where the heck are we going to be buried? I do want to be potted with a beautiful view; maybe near a lake. That'd be nice. I figure I'll be there for awhile. It's going to be tough not going someplace else in a few years.

No comments: