Monday, November 4, 2019

How To Throw Money Down A Rat Hole

I happened to be watch snippets of the Winchester Dog Show. Jesse Watters was interview entrants and asked them how much they spent on their dogs month. The lowest was around $300 and on the top end it was $2400. Yikes! That seems like a lot of cash.

In this vein I began thinking about how much I spend on my little pooch. Aside from his food a couple times a month while at the grocery store I'll snag a toy or a chewy item. Cost: $20. Toe nail clippings come to $10. He gets a hair cut once every two months which shocks the heck out of me.  To date we've spent $750 at the Vet's and we haven't had him for a year. What about dogs in the wild? I'm never seen a wolf with hair that looks like its a Mastodon so why does hair on domesticated canines grow so quickly.

Anyway, it's getting colder so being the good pappy that I am I bought Charlie a coat and puppy paw protectors. If I get cold in the winter then he must also. What a waste of money, all $60 of it.

He would not let me put the quilted shawl over his head used to warm his body. This morning, since there was a chill in the air and frost on the ground, I got him onto my lap. He allowed me to put the puppy warmers on his feet. They even have padding on the bottom to avoid slipping. What a great dad I am.

We headed out the sliding back door and up the hill. By the time he'd reached the top he had shed the warmers on his back feet. He then sprinted another ten yards and hit the ground onto his belly.. That's when he mouthed both of the front warmers and ripped them off his teeny tiny paws.

I thought I could alleviate this snafu by placing draw strings around the top. Maybe I'll have the Queen work on this. God forbid I could handle it.

This is another in a long line of animal expenditures. I'd forgotten they cast as much as children.

No comments: