Friday, November 1, 2019

The Worst Halloween Candy Ever

Once again the Hawkeye family escaped giving out goodies. Oh, I made a trip to Giant Eagle to find the cheapest candy available and came across individually wrapped Bit O Honey tidbits. I won't eat these things but I had to have something, anything, on hand.

It got me to thinking about being a kid and what were the best and worst handouts. It depends on one's preference, of course. When I received a Milky* Way I was happy. A Snickers bar not so.

Once in awhile I'd receive a regular sized bar. The Gorey family across the street on S. Clinton gave these out in the 50's. They didn't have any children so that might have had something to do with their generosity toward kids.

My grandpa gave out a bar called Smooth Sailin. It was chocolate with a creamy filling. It's no longer in business.

When I was a kid we never worried about our candy being tampered with razor blades or LSD inserted. People of the 50's were saner than they are today. Every so often I'd receive an apple; not a big thrill. I could get those at home without having to walk the neighborhood.

There is one candy that I refuse to buy and it remains so today and that would be Candy Corn. I might as well take a scoopful of sugar and swallow.

The weather in Dublin was rainy followed by snow flurries around 6 pm. The temps were at 29 degrees. When my dog refused to go out to do his duty I'm knew we wouldn't be seeing kids. In this day and age they'd have their parents take them to the grocery story so they could run the candy aisles.

And that's the way it goes.

*The Milky Way was the first candy bar invented by the Mars family in the early 1900's

No comments: