Sunday, April 15, 2012

Were You One Of These



My high school era of the early Sixties was fairly benign when it came to attire. We were very laid back and didn't bring a lot of attention to ourselves. For my Prom Night I wore a snazzy tuxedo; searsucker black and white striped and black slacks with the standard patent leather shoes. My date looked outstanding. She slinked into a red, form fitting gown that went to the floor. We looked very, very good together.
When I began teaching in 1968 the faculty were sometimes forced to chaperon Prom. It seems I always came up with some kind of excuse to get out of it. I thought it was interesting how prom clothing changed from my era through my teaching years; twenty in all. First off, a guy's hairstyle went from standard to bizarre. For some reason I was at my sweet cousins home in Milwaukee around 1976 when her prom date picked her up. I sat back and looked at him as he arrived at the front door and thought, "if she were my daughter I'd lock her in the closet".
Getting to the point of this post I was looking at Yahoo. They posted some of the most 'embarrassing prom photos' of years gone by.
My thought(s) was I wonder what their kids thought of mom of and dad now.
Go ahead and give yourselves a chuckle. Who knows, maybe one of these is you.

No comments: